Washington Child Support Lawyer

Determining child support can be a complex process, and both custodial and noncustodial parents can learn about child support obligations from an experienced Washington child support lawyer.

While the court follows standard guidelines in determining child support, it is also important to consider your circumstances, including the income and debts of both parents.

If you have concerns about child support, whether you are going through a divorce or are seeking a modification, a skilled child support lawyer can help. En Español.

Child Support Laws in Washington

Child Support

State child support guidelines rely on an economic table that considers both parents’ income when calculating the amount of child support owed to the custodial parent. This model is called the income shares model.

Under this model, each parent owes a percentage of support in proportion to their own income. For instance, a parent whose paycheck – and other sources of income – accounts for 40 percent of the total combined parental income will owe 40 percent of the child support.

Both parents must contribute to raising their child and both owe a percentage of child support. However, the courts typically assume that the custodial parent will automatically spend this portion on raising the child, since they live together most of the time. For this reason, only the noncustodial parent pays child support to the custodial parent.

Factors Courts Consider in Child Support Cases

From the baseline level of recommended child support in Washington state, the support amount can be adjusted up or down depending on certain factors, including but not limited to:

  • Number of children supported from previous relationships and any child support received for those children
  • Each parent’s financial situation, as well as both parties’ taxes and debts owed
  • The child’s own income, if it is significant, such as if a teenager earns a substantial amount at a job
  • The income of a new spouse or partner, if one parent is living with a new partner
  • Whether there is a great disparity between the incomes of the parents
  • Whether one parent has little income because they served as the primary caretaker and stayed at home with the children
  • The extraordinary needs of a disabled child
  • The portion of time the child spends with each parent

Washington Family Law

Allow our Washington Divorce Lawyers assist you through the divorce process.
Read More
Bringing a new member into the family can be a long process. Allow one of our Washington Divorce Lawyers to help you through it.
Read More
Our Washington Child Custody lawyers can help you come to a resolution that benefits your whole family.
Read More
Couples often wonder how divorce will affect their shared property. Washington is a community property state, which means that all property and debt acquired during a marriage belong equally to both partners and must be split between them.
Read More

Child Support Modification

As a Washington child support lawyer may explain, the state of Washington allows for modification of child-support orders when a parent experiences a change of circumstances or if it has been at least a year since the last modification. Job loss is one common reason for child support modification, but a custodial parent could also ask for an increase in child support, due to an increase in income, such as a new job or promotion for the noncustodial parent.

Consulting a Washington Child Support Attorney

The process of determining child support can be stressful, especially during the breakup of a marriage or a relationship. In other cases, a child support order needs to be modified, due to a change in one parent’s circumstances.

Whether you are a custodial or noncustodial parent, an experienced Washington child support lawyer can help you understand your rights and responsibilities when it comes to child support.

Our Practice Areas

Ashby Law is a family law firm dedicated to practicing all areas of family law from standard to more complex family law situations- Ashby Law is at the forefront of Family Law. Our team has years of experience in various facets of family law including divorce, legal separation, child custody matters, relocation, parenting plans, division of assets, international cases, and domestic violence protection matters.

Ashby Law understands that the end of a marriage is never easy. A divorce can turn your entire world upside down. Every aspect of your life may be in flux. Your residence, standard of living, relationships with your children, and daily routine may all be changing.

Both parents share the responsibility of raising a child. Ashby Law can help ensure your child receives the financial support required for a healthy, happy upbringing. Child support payments remain the same unless and until the court modifies the child support. If either parent experiences a significant change in financial circumstances, Ashby Law can guide you through the proper legal procedures.

Ashby Law understands that the end of a marriage is never easy. A divorce can turn your entire world upside down. Every aspect of your life may be in flux. Your residence, standard of living, relationships with your children, and daily routine may all be changing.

For every parent, child custody is the most heart-wrenching aspect of divorce. Divorce can also be difficult for children. In many instances, a child may feel like he or she has to pick sides or choose between parents. This is especially true when it comes to determining with whom the child should live.

Request a Consultation

Client Review

Client Name: Glen

Review Title: Worth it

Review Description: Scott was the third attorney I had help with a child support case. I felt that he and his team handled my case efficiently and ethically, especially considering the circumstances. While his rates may be higher than most, the efficiency of the operation makes up for it. Communication was prompt and courteous throughout. I was comforted knowing that he had my back. I would definitely hire him again.

Star Rating: ★★★★★